The Nigerian Model United Nations Society (NigMUNS) was founded in 2004 and held its first conferences in 2005. NigMUNS is highly deepened in the urge and rising need to involve young people in participating and simulating the decision-making processes of the United Nations within the Nigeria context.
NigMUNS is a non-governmental organization, recognized and accredited by the Federal Ministry of Education and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and has a Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council. The Board of Trustees of the organization is made up of men and women of proven integrity and success in their chosen areas of human endeavour.
It has distinguished itself as an organization committed to educating and guiding young people, fostering understanding among the leaders of tomorrow. The programmes of the organization have continued to receive commendations from individuals and organizations within and outside the country.
NigMUNS like any Model United Nations in the world is an authentic simulation of the negotiating forums of the United Nations Organization where participants represent the chosen member state, and where students can have an opportunity to improve their negotiation and communication ability and to form adequately their problem-solving experiment that is important and required in every field of life. Participants can familiarize with the operation of the given organization, can enlarge their knowledge about the foreign policy of the represented state, furthermore they can improve their command of language.
It has distinguished itself as an organization committed to educating and guiding young people, fostering understanding among the leaders of tomorrow. The programmes of the organization have continued to receive commendations from individuals and organizations within and outside the country. We also make efforts to keep contact of high standard with external partners. We have continually maintained our tradition of visiting foreign missions in Nigeria. We regularly participate in programmes organised by the MUN Clubs of our participating schools and institutions. We also take part in International MUN conferences and study tours across some historic cities in Europe and America.
Every year, our organization makes a deep impression on the lives of thousands of youth across Nigeria and beyond through the continual and successful hosting of our four MUN conferences:
- Nigerian International Secondary Schools Model United Nations (NISSMUN) Conference for senior secondary school students;
- Nigerian International Model United Nations (NIGIMUN) conference for students of tertiary institutions;
- Lagos Regional Secondary Schools Model United Nations (LARSSMUN) conference; and
- Junior Schools international Model United Nations (JUNSIMUN) & Leadership conference for students of junior secondary schools.
The principal aims and objectives of the organization are:
- Promote among the youths, the knowledge and support for the aims, achievements and activities of the United Nations and its agencies.
- Facilitate discussions and debate on a diverse range of issues through our programme and activities.
- Advance the interest of international education across national boundaries through our Model United Nations Conferences.
- Promote international understanding, respect and peaceful cooperation among peoples.
- Conduct studies, research and other activities relating to the UN systems.
- Promote public understanding of Nigeria’s role in the United Nation’s operations.
- Discourage sectional attitudes and prejudice for other peoples and cultures.