The Nigerian International Secondary Schools Model United Nations (NISSMUN) Conference is an annual educational program designed to provide senior secondary school students across Nigeria and abroad with an unparalleled opportunity to simulate the workings of the United Nations, providing the students with a unique opportunity to engage in diplomatic discourse, debate, critical thinking, and collaborative problem-solving. NISSMUN aims to inspire the next generation of leaders, equipping them with the skills and knowledge necessary to address pressing global issues.
Key Features of NISSMUN:
- i) Realistic Simulation: NISSMUN offers a realistic simulation of the United Nations, allowing students to step into the shoes of diplomats, engage in debate, and work towards crafting impactful resolutions.
- ii) Inclusive Participation: We welcome students from diverse backgrounds, fostering an inclusive environment that encourages the exchange of perspectives and ideas.
iii) Educational Impact: NISSMUN goes beyond traditional classroom learning, providing an experiential education that enhances students’ understanding of international relations, diplomacy, and the complexities of global issues.
- iv) Networking Opportunities: Participants will have the chance to connect with like-minded peers, build a network of contacts, and engage with experienced professionals in the field of international relations.
Why NISSMUN Matters: In an increasingly interconnected world, it is crucial to empower the youth with the skills and knowledge to become informed, responsible global citizens. NISSMUN serves as a stepping stone for students to develop leadership qualities, cultural awareness, and a deep understanding of the importance of collaboration on the world stage.
The theme for NISSMUN 2024 is: Curbing Risky Behaviors among Young People. By engaging in the committee and interactive sessions of the conference, participating students will not only gain a deeper understanding of the complex issues surrounding risky behaviors but will also develop the skills necessary to be effective advocates and leaders in their communities.
How Model United Nations Operate:
The basic principles of Model United Nations remain the same; regardless of where the conference is taking place:
- Each delegate is assigned a UN Member State and a UN body or Committee, and he/she assumes the role of that country’s representative at that UN body or committee.
- The delegate researches his/her country’s position on the selected committee topics, paying particular attention to their country’s perspective on the topics to be discussed at the Committee Sessions. The topics are issues of global importance.
- The committee sessions are held in accordance with Rules of Procedure. The delegates present statements of their countries’ position then debate and negotiate with the other delegates, through formal and informal debates.
- At the end of the whole debate and negotiation, a consensus is reached and a resolution is drafted. The drafted resolution is further scrutinized for possible amendments and finally adopted through the majority vote as the final RESOLUTION.
Benefits of Model United Nations to Students:
- Model UN events provide active learning opportunities for delegates, allowing them to explore and analyze a situation affecting different people in unusual settings. They negotiate and reach a consensus on the best action for all, working individually and as part of a group. Delegates develop their communication skills and build their self-confidence.
- Helps the students appreciate the relevance of academic study to real-world problems and utilize the skills learned through their school’s course curriculum or degrees.
- Provides a multicultural learning experience, as it gives students the opportunity to meet others from diverse backgrounds and nationalities and helps them break out from their own prejudices and preconceptions about world affairs.
- Instills responsibility and discipline as the students assume the role of ambassadors and speak out on behalf of nations in a bid to resolving issues.
- The UN can be a difficult organization to grasp – it is not a world government, but a system of many organizations which together affect our lives in many ways. In order to influence the way in which the UN works, we must understand the UN – one way of doing this is by taking part in a Model UN event.
- Model UN work not only educates participants about the problems the world is facing but also suggests the means by which progress can be made and problems resolved, peacefully and justly.
- Students should be in Senior Secondary 1, 2 or 3.
- They should understand the United Nations and its affairs.
- Verified research skills and ability to comprehend research topics.
- Effective communication skills.
- Students should possess leadership qualities.
- Students should be team players and eager to learn.
- Students should be disciplined and smart.
How to Complete Registration Form:
- The participating students are required to select any 3 countries of their choice from the country/committee matrix. (1 out of the 3 countries could be allocated to you based on availability)
- Select any 3 committees of your choice from the country/committee matrix attached that you wish to simulate (1 out of the 3 committees could be allocated to you also depending on availability)
- Ensure that the country chosen is a member of the committee selected as appropriately indicated in the country/committee matrix.
Special Information on Country/Committee Selection and Assignment:
It is important to note that we cannot guarantee that each student will be assigned the country/committee of his or her choice. Certain criteria may result in a change in delegate’s choice. Some of which are:
- Most countries are allocated on first-come, first-served basis. Delegates are therefore encouraged to send in their application forms early.
- Essays are rated according to performance. The best essays will receive awards.
*** Students who apply to sit on the s Council should be of academic excellence and possess good public presentation and analytical skills. Accompanying staff should please assist us in this regard.
- Requirement for Participation –
All Senior Secondary School Students and schools are eligible to register and participate in the conference. Schools can enlist as many students as they want.
- Registration –
- Registration begins NOVEMBER 20, 2023, and ends MARCH 2, 2024. Late registration by Delegates, Conference Officials, or Accompanying Staff from March 2 – May 31, 2023, will lead to 10% surcharge. Subsequent late registration, from June 1 – July 30, 2023 will lead to 20% surcharge, and from August 1 – 30, 2023 will lead to 30% surcharge.
- NigMUNS will not make any refund of payment from two months before the conference.
- If there is need to replace any Student Delegate, Conference Official or Accompanying Staff after registration, an administrative fee of N5,000 will be required.
Basic Conference Information:
All applications and payments of conference fee must be received on or before MARCH 2, 2024.
NOTE: Registration forms must be returned with one (1) passport photograph, mandatory essays, and evidence of payment of conference fee.
- Acceptance of Application –
Students who have been accepted to participate at NISSMUN 2024 will be notified on or before APRIL 1, 2024.
A compulsory essay on “Curbing Risky Behaviors among Young People” is to be submitted by each delegate. These materials must be delivered on or before MARCH 2, 2024.
All accepted delegates are expected to individually submit their countries Position Papers on or before AUGUST 5, 2024. Note: that the position paper is different from the mandatory essay.
- Delegates are expected to arrive from 12 noon on the 26th October, 2024 and depart on or before 11am on the 31st October, 2024.
- Officials will arrive on Friday 25th October, 2024 and depart on November 1, 2024.
- Curbing Risky Behaviors among Young People –
Adolescence is a transformative period filled with excitement, curiosity, and a desire for exploration. However, it is also a time when young people may engage in risky behaviors that can have detrimental consequences on their well-being and future prospects. It is imperative that we address this issue and implement effective measures to curb these behaviors. By fostering responsible decision-making and providing support, we can guide young people toward a path of personal growth, health, and success.
Risky behaviors among young people encompass a range of activities such as substance abuse, unsafe sex, reckless driving, and involvement in violence. These behaviors often stem from a combination of factors, including peer pressure, the need for identity formation, limited life experience, and a sense of invincibility. Without intervention, these behaviors can lead to severe consequences, including physical harm, addiction, academic setbacks, damaged relationships, and a compromised future.
One of the most crucial steps in curbing risky behaviors is providing comprehensive education and awareness. Young people need accurate information about the potential risks and consequences associated with these behaviors. Health education programs, informative workshops, and open discussions can equip them with the knowledge necessary to make informed decisions. By understanding the short and long-term implications of their actions, young individuals are empowered to prioritize their well-being.
Young people often engage in risky behaviors as a way to cope with stress, emotional turmoil, or negative experiences. Creating an environment of open communication and fostering supportive relationships is essential for guiding young people towards responsible decision-making. Parents, teachers, mentors, and other trusted adults play a vital role in offering guidance, listening without judgment, and providing a safe space for discussion. By encouraging young individuals to express their concerns, aspirations, and challenges, we can address underlying issues and help them develop critical thinking skills.
Curbing risky behaviors among young people requires a multifaceted approach that addresses the underlying factors contributing to such behaviors. By focusing on education and awareness, open communication, positive role models, self-esteem building, peer pressure management, healthy coping mechanisms, and community involvement, we can empower young individuals to make responsible choices. By investing in their well-being and providing the necessary guidance and support, we pave the way for a future generation that is equipped to navigate life’s challenges with resilience, integrity, and a commitment to their own success.
Students stand to benefit greatly from NISSMUN 2024 focused on curbing risky behaviors among young people. Here are some key benefits they can expect:
- Knowledge and Awareness: The conference will provide students with valuable information and insights about the risks associated with various risky behaviors. They will gain a deeper understanding of the potential consequences on their health, relationships, and future opportunities. This knowledge equips them to make informed decisions and empowers them to navigate challenges more effectively.
- Skill Development: Conferences often feature committee sessions, presentations, and interactive sessions that aim to develop specific skills. Students can expect to learn important skills such as communication, critical thinking, problem-solving, decision-making, and peer pressure management. These skills are essential for making responsible choices and resisting negative influences.
- Empowerment and Agency: Attending a conference on curbing risky behaviors empowers students by fostering a sense of agency over their own lives. They will realize that they have the ability to make positive choices and take control of their future. This newfound sense of empowerment encourages them to actively participate in their own personal growth and well-being.
- Exposure to Role Models: Conferences often feature guest speakers who have successfully overcome risky behaviors or have dedicated their lives to addressing them. These individuals serve as inspiring role models for students, demonstrating that change is possible and that they too can make positive choices. Exposure to such role models ignites motivation and encourages students to strive for personal growth.
- Peer Learning and Support: Interacting with fellow students who are facing similar challenges creates a supportive and collaborative environment. Students can share their experiences, learn from one another, and offer mutual support. Peer learning can be powerful, as young individuals often relate to and understand each other’s perspectives more easily.
- Inspiration and Motivation: Conferences provide an atmosphere of inspiration and motivation, fueling students’ determination to make positive changes. Hearing success stories, engaging in thought-provoking discussions, and being surrounded by like-minded individuals can rekindle their passion for making responsible choices and advocating for a healthier future.
- Actionable Strategies and Resources: Conferences often provide practical strategies, resources, and tools that students can implement in their daily lives. From educational materials to support networks and community programs, students gain access to valuable resources that aid in their personal growth and efforts to curb risky behaviors.
Celebrating the 20th Anniversary of NISSMUN
NISSMUN 2024 provides us with the unique opportunity to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the NIISMUN Conference, a journey we have undertaken together. This milestone event is a testament to the transformative power of diplomacy, leadership, and global engagement.
Over the past two decades, the NISSMUN conference has served as a beacon of hope, igniting the passion for change within the hearts of countless young minds. From the stimulating debates in the committee rooms to the friendships forged during negotiations, we have witnessed the growth and development of emerging leaders who are shaping the world.
As we celebrate this momentous occasion, we reflect on the impact of the NISSMUN conference. We recall the countless resolutions passed, the diplomatic breakthroughs achieved, and the solutions crafted to tackle the pressing issues of our time. Through the lens of the United Nations, our delegates have learned the art of diplomacy, the value of consensus, and the importance of collaboration in forging a better future.
The NISSMUN conference has been a launchpad for dreams, propelling young students toward careers in diplomacy, international relations, and public service. It has nurtured their talents, honed their skills, and empowered them to become global citizens and change agents. The memories created within these walls have fostered lifelong friendships and connections that transcend borders and cultures.
Let this celebration be a testament to the tireless efforts of all who have contributed to this journey. From our ever-supportive school administrators to our caring parents, from our dedicated organizing committee to our passionate delegates, from our committed faculty advisors to our invaluable volunteers, you have all shaped the legacy of our NISSMUN conference.
As we look toward the future, we are filled with excitement and hope. The next generation of MUN delegates will continue to push boundaries, challenge norms, and find innovative solutions to the world’s most pressing problems. We are confident that they will lead with integrity, empathy, and a deep commitment to building a more just and sustainable world.
Join us as we celebrate 20 years of empowering young minds, nurturing leadership, and embracing the power of dialogue. Let us come together to honor the legacy of our the NISSMUN conference and to ignite the flame of inspiration within the hearts of future delegates.
NISSMUN – “Empowering Minds. Inspiring Change. Shaping the Future.”
NISSMUN 2024 will attract notable and dynamic personalities relevant to international relations. Experienced minds who have insightful knowledge on the conference theme will also be invited. In addition, we will introduce in-committee guest speaker programme to ensure that all delegates have the opportunity to hear from real experts on their committee topics and contemporary issues to the conference.
- Training Programme for Accompanying Staff –
The task of the NISSMUN Staff Adviser is more than just accompanying the students to the conference and monitoring them – it is a huge responsibility. We know how important a staff adviser is to student delegates in a Model UN Conference. It is the desire of Nigeria Model United Nations Society to build the capacities of the accompanying staff, enhance their skills in various competencies through a Special Training Programme during the conference, and certificates of participation presented to them.
- 2024 NISSMUN Branded 20TH Anniversary T-Shirts –
Kindly note that the 2024 NISSMUN T-shirts are meant for everyone. However, delegates and accompanying staff who missed the registration deadline would be required to pay a surcharge as contained on page 4 of the conference registration guideline. The 2024 NISSMUN T-shirts would be worn at the official Welcome Party for all delegates.
- 20th Anniversary Banquet/Awards Night –
The 20th Anniversary Banquet/Awards Night is a very special event that brings the NISSMUN Conference 2024 celebration to its climax. It is where we recognize outstanding students and Institutions, role models whose achievements are a source of pride and inspiration to young people. We also use this opportunity to show gratitude to staff advisers for their continued support.
NISSMUN 2024 World Culture Night is an amazing opportunity for our participating delegates to learn about and appreciate each other’s cultural heritage, including language, history, cuisine and customs.
The idea behind such initiative is to improve students’ relationships and interactions with each other, break the stereotypes created between the borders of race, religion, and other variables.
Part of the night will also be dedicated to performances where students can sing, dance, or show something that’s representative of a certain country or people. We should therefore recognize the role of cultural diversity for the benefit of present and future generations.
One of the many ways people showcase their culture is through food. It is an important part of any celebration across the world, regardless of values or religion. It can unite and strengthen community bonds.
The NISSMUN World Food Arena offers the diplomatic missions in Nigeria, a unique opportunity to showcase their cultural identity through food. The students will have a handful of opportunities to taste the various food delicacies provided by the Embassies/High Commissions.
The Embassies/High Commissions visit is an annual tradition that offers our student – delegates a perfect opportunity to have direct interactions with representatives of the countries they have worked so hard to represent and it will increase their appreciation for the countries during their committee sessions. It is also part of an educational and cultural experience for our students who have worked so hard to research on the position of the countries they would be representing during the conference.
Objectives of NISSMUN 2024 Conference:
- The purposes of the NISSMUN 2024 include: –
- To provide an ideal platform where young people can explore and improve their capabilities.
- To provide critical thinking skills among the youth,
- To strengthen youth voices on issues that affect their lives,
- To develop the skills, values and attitudes that empower the youth to make informed decisions.
- To develop efficient public speaking skills,
- To educate delegates on the common forms of risky behavioral tendencies among the youth
- To encourage positive behavioral change among young people,
- To empower the students to inspire others on ways to curb risky behaviours.
- Through the Conference, students will: –
- Develop strong communication and advocacy skills,
- Activate their imagination and creativity,
- Learn to appreciate different cultures, beliefs and opinions,
- Develop more strategies and solutions to global problems,
- Build meaningful and lasting friendships,
- Learn various forms of risky behaviours among young people,
- Adopt positive behavioural change,
- Become agents in the fight against risky behaviours.
Advertisement in the NISSMUN Conference Brochure:
Participating schools are expected to take advantage of the unique nature of the NISSMUN conference and advertise their schools and facilities in the brochure. The conference brochure would be sent to other Model United Nations clubs around the world, Embassies, government agencies in Nigeria, stakeholders and the United Nations Headquarters in New York.
NISSMUN 2024 Brochure Advert rates are:
Full Page: N150, 000.00
Inner Front Cover: N200, 000.00
Inner Back Cover: N250, 000.00
Advertisers should please send their artwork (colored) in a Flash Disk or CD Rom with photocopy of payment teller to the NigMUNS office on or before July 31, 2024.
Participation in NISSMUN yields tremendous educational and personal rewards. Each delegate should rightly feel great pride in doing the research necessary to participate and in successfully playing the role of his/her country during the conference.
As a means of recognizing outstanding efforts in this area, we are pleased to present several awards with prizes at the conclusion of NISSMUN 2024. Thirty (30) Awards will be presented at the Gala and Awards Night to student delegates, school delegations and accompanying staff who distinguish themselves during the conference.
- Most Outstanding Female Delegate
- Second Most Outstanding Female Delegate
- Third Most Outstanding Female Delegate
- Most Outstanding Male Delegate
- Second Most Outstanding Male Delegate
- Third Most Outstanding Male Delegate
- Best School Delegation
- Second Best School Delegation
- Third Best School Delegation
- Francis Uleh Award for Best Staff Adviser
- Best Male Accompanying Teacher
- Best Female Accompanying Teacher
- Best Cultural Performance
- Second Best Cultural Performance
- Third Best Cultural Performance
- Best Drama Presentation (Theme)
- Second Best Drama Presentation (Theme)
- Best Cultural Costume
- Second Best Cultural Costume
- Third Best Cultural Costume
- Best Conference Committee
- Best Conference Director
- Second Best Conference Director
- Best Committee Chairperson
- Second Best Committee Chairperson
- Best Committee Rapporteur
- Second Best Committee Rapporteur
- Most outstanding Delegates in each Committee
- Best Theme Essay
- Second Best Theme Essay
- Third Best Theme Essay
Nigeria Model United Nations Society (NigMUNS)
Nigeria Model United Nations Society (NigMUNS) is a non-profit organization that develops the understanding of the United Nations and contemporary global issues among young people since the year 2004. We provide one of the most prestigious and robust platforms for the most authentic simulation of the UN, her deliberations, conflict resolution, collaboration, and development interventions against the backdrop of Nigeria’s parallel and unique social issues. We have received local, national and international recognition, commendation, and accreditation from reputable individuals, dignitaries, government functionaries, government organizations, Embassies, Civil Society, Educational Institutions, and UN organizations. NigMUNS is registered under the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, endorsed by Nigeria’s Federal Ministry of Education, Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and holds a Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council ECOSOC.
Nigeria Model United Nations Society believes in a better future. We believe in young people. We believe in development interventions and executable solutions to the world’s most pressing problems. We envision a world of young global actors, highly informed change agents, and seemingly ordinary young Africans making local inputs for global impact. Our belief system is firmly engrained in our mandate, motivation, and modus operandi. We constantly affirm, via our annual intensive life-transforming conferences, that cooperative, hands-on, experiential learning allows every participating student to evolve into a conscientious leader by confronting a range of topics on real-world issues from the perspective of different countries. We believe in the harmony of the world as one peaceful sustainable global village where everyone is a global citizen contributing collaboratively to the greater good of a society that’s free, fair, and favourable to all.
Our conferences offer students the most cherished and educational experience, and an effective tool to learn about the complexities of the world, how the international communities deal with economic and environmental concerns, human rights violations, disarmament and political conflicts and other global problem.
We are committed to providing children and young people with the knowledge and skills to participate in and contribute to our multicultural society as informed and responsible citizens – locally, nationally and internationally.
Nigeria Model United Nations Society
14, Dep Street, Off Danube Street, Maitama, Abuja
P.O. Box 7311 Wuse, Abuja, Nigeria
Tel: + 234(0) – (0) 9- 2903635
Hotline: +234(0) 8068896000
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org